We recently shared the podium with sectional title specialists, TVDM Consultants, and NABA in Cape Town at a NAMA (National Association of Managing Agents) event where we spoke about precautionary measures that can be taken prior to the rainy season.”.
Philip Nell of NABA (specialising in building maintenance consulting services and project management) has assisted us in putting together some protocols that residents or owners can follow to lower the risk of potential damage prior to a rainy season.
Here is a suggested checklist:
Inspect and maintain all systems designed to prevent water penetration:
- Check roofs for any signs of damage or leaks. Repair or replace as necessary.
- Evaluate the waterproofing of the building’s roofs and flat surfaces. Repair any cracks or gaps.
Ensure proper water drainage systems:
- Clean and inspect gutters regularly to prevent clogging. Remove any debris or blockages.
- Check downpipes for any obstructions or damage. Repair or replace if needed.
- Inspect outlets on balconies/roofs (full-bore outlets, spouts). Clear any blockages.
- Evaluate stormwater channels for any blockages or damage. Clear or repair as necessary.
- Check subsoil drainage outlets. Clear any blockages.
- Inspect stormwater catch pits for debris or blockages. Clean as needed.
- Ensure that paving/aprons around the building slope away from the building to facilitate water flow.
Evaluate sump pumps:
- Test sump pumps to ensure they are in working condition. Repair or replace if necessary.
Additionally, consider the following points:
- Regularly inspect and maintain the building’s exterior walls and windows to prevent water seepage.
- Check the condition of doors and windows for proper sealing to prevent water intrusion.
- Evaluate the condition of the building’s drainage system and make any necessary repairs or improvements.
Please note that this checklist is only a general guideline and may need to be customised based on the specific requirements of your property.
Naba Consulting is a South African-based consultancy firm specialising in providing construction consulting services. The NABA team comprises experienced engineers, architects, construction managers, and quantity surveyors who are dedicated to delivering the best possible solutions for building maintenance projects.
Addsure is South Africa’s leading sectional title insurance brokerage. Obtain fit and proper advice from advisors who understand sectional title. Contact our head office, Cape Town (021) 551 5069 who will put you directly in touch with one of our nationwide advisors.